Most days, when I climb into my shower, I find myself saying, “Thank you, Heavenly Father, for hot showers.” (Especially when it’s winter!)
My thoughts then turn to gratitude for running water and indoor toilets (with seats – visit Europe some time). I often think about the people in the world who have never had a hot shower (or any shower) and my heart aches for them. I pray for them and I become more grateful I live in America.
The water in the shower makes me think of rain. I love rain. I love the way it sounds. I love the way it smells. Rain makes me think about the earth being washed clean. And I love that it provides water for all living things (including me!). I’m grateful for rain.
I think about the beauty that surrounds me: our green lawn, trees, flowers – and I am again thankful for water.
Then I’ll pray for snow and a heavy snow pack. Without the snow, we don’t have water in the summers. I love snow: it’s my favorite “common” miracle. Snow magically changes everything. Before there are footprints, before it’s touched by humans in any way, it is so beautiful. New fallen snow fills my heart with wonder and joy.
Snow reminds me of The Atonement of Christ and how perfectly white and clean we can become through the power of repentance.
Beyond that symbolic reference, I am grateful I can still shovel snow (my body doesn’t like it as much, but I’m still capable). I’m grateful for shovels and snow blowers. I’m grateful for boots, gloves and coats. I’m grateful that, when I do get to drive in the snow (I’m grateful for cars), it’s warm and heated inside.
Then there’s the gorgeous snow-covered mountains. I’m grateful for eyes to see them. And I’m grateful I live where I can see them. I’m grateful for The Spirit that reminds me to stop and look at the mountains. And I say a prayer of gratitude.
Those wonderful snow-covered mountains will be green next spring because of the bounteous water in that snow. (Green is my favorite color.) And then my lawn, trees and flowers can be watered.
And because of that beautiful snow, that melts into the mountain soil, then travels down the mountain rivers, I can climb into my glorious hot shower again tomorrow morning.
by Colleen
November 23, 2008
Another Milestone for Calan
14 years ago




Love reading your blog!
ReplyDelete